Avneet Sidhu advises on matters dealing with the sale, lease, and development of real property with a particular focus on the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
Avneet spent several years representing the development services department at the City of San Marcos and the City of Lemon Grove on CEQA and land use issues for a variety of development projects. As legal counsel for the planning commissions at both the City of San Marcos and Lemon Grove, she attends and preside over the hearings, advising the Commissions on policy and procedures, conflicts of interest and compliance with the Brown Act.
As an attorney, advising on a land use and development project, Avneet appreciates being part of a project team with subject matter experts (e.g., engineers, biologists, financial analysts, etc.), and whether acting on behalf of the private applicant or the public approving agency, is efficient and solutions-oriented when reviewing compliance with legal requirements and ensuring that the project and documents are complete and thorough; readable by the public and the decision-makers.
Memberships & Committees
• California Lawyers Association, Environmental Law and Public Law Section
• San Diego County Bar Association, Elected Chair of the Environmental Law and Land Use Section executive committee (2020).
• South Asian Bar Association of San Diego
• Lawyers Club of San Diego
• San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce
Articles and Speaking Engagements
• Lecturer, Business Law, Fowler College of Business, San Diego State University.
• Reviewer, The California Municipal Law Handbook, Cal CEB, 2019, 2018, 2016.
• Moderator, Land Use Cases: “Do’s and Don’ts” From the Bench and Bar. Panel with Justice William Dato, Judge Robert Dahlquist and Jeffrey Chine. San Diego County Bar Association, San Diego, CA., September 2019
• Speaker, 2019 CEQA Update: Guidelines and Court Opinions. City Attorneys Association of San Diego spring conference, Temecula, CA., March 2019.
• Speaker, Peer-to-Peer Advising: Stories of Infinite Success. National University Sanford Education Center Women in Leadership Conference, San Diego, CA., October 2018.
• Speaker, Election Law, The Power of the People: Recall of Local Officers. Presentation at the City Attorneys Association of San Diego spring conference, Palm Springs, CA., March 2016.
• Author, California Supreme Court Limits Scope of CEQA. March 6, 2016, Client Alert.